Sunday, June 19, 2011

San Juan del Sur

San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua: surfer's paradise and unsavory tourist trap. Anyway, I got to do 2 shallow dives around some large rock formations there. Despite the visibility being mediocre and the current being fickle and confusing, I saw plenty of interesting things: small, ubiquitous neon blue sponges, incredibly clumsy pufferfish, big, delicious-looking lobsters, and a few moray eels that looked rather grumpy. With the current going every which way, it's a wonder I never bashed my brains out on a rock while staring at something. Oh, I also saved my buddy's tank from escaping its strap. He was thankful because breathing is nice.

The second day at San Juan was spent having a leisurely breakfast and hanging out at the sparsely populated Playa Yankee. No, I am not making that name up. Why was it so sparsely populated, you ask? Apparently somebody was hacked to death with a machete there recently. But hey, is that really going to stop a group of stupid 20-somethings? Of course not. Anyway, here's some photos from the beach.

I love the cacti here.

Typical Nicaraguan bush

That must be the machete killer over there.

Stuck my camera in a tide pool for the hell of it, and somebody got curious.

Finally, a bonus video from the hostel where I stayed. I think they had a nest inside the roof, and they weren't too pleased with our presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment